If you want your startup to grow quickly, content marketing should be part of your digital marketing plan. It’s an effective, low-cost tactic that will grab your target market’s attention.
Keep reading to learn more about this powerful marketing method and how to start your own content marketing plan.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing provides information in various forms and is published online. The different forms of content marketing include:
- Blog posts
- White papers
- Press releases
In order to produce the best results, new content should be created and published on a regular basis. But not just any old content will do. The information that gets published should be interesting, high-quality, and helpful for readers.
This allows businesses to connect with more potential customers while keeping current customers engaged.
Why is Content Marketing Important?
Creating high-quality content on a consistent basis might sound like a lot of work. Is it really worth it? Absolutely!
Here are the benefits of content marketing.
- Increases Brand Awareness – The online world makes it possible for you to reach a wide range of potential customers, making them aware of your business.
- Strengthens Connections with Customers – When your content truly helps your readers, they are far more likely to remain loyal to your business.
- Establishes Credibility – Your content gives you the opportunity to prove your expertise, which will strengthen your target market’s trust in your ability to meet their needs.
- Relatively Low-Cost – Traditional marketing strategies (TV commercials, radio ads, newspaper ads…) can be quite costly, but content marketing is much more affordable.
How to Start an Effective Content Marketing Plan
There are many different ways to implement content marketing. How do you know which is the best strategy?
That depends on your particular business and target market. To devise the perfect content marketing plan, follow the steps listed below.
Research Your Target Market
First, you have to know whose attention you are trying to get. If you don’t know this, you won’t know how to capture that attention.
You will need to research your target market so that you can learn about their:
- Pain points
Once you understand your target market you can create the type of content they need and want. The content you create should be:
- Relevant to the needs of your target market;
- Useful for your audience;
- Valuable to your audience.
Conduct Competitor Research
You will also need to check out what your competitors are doing with their own content marketing plans. Although you don’t want to copy them, you can use their strategies to get some ideas for your own.
Take a look at their websites, blog posts, reviews from customers, social media posts, and any other content you can find that they’ve produced. Take note of what they do well and what they could improve on.
Find Your Niche
Now that you’ve gotten an idea of what your target market needs and what your competitors are doing, you can determine how your own content marketing plan will meet the needs of your target market.
Think about the issues that your competitors are failing to address. Maybe you could create great content that will help your readers solve those problems.
Remember, the competition is fierce. If your business doesn’t stand out it will blend into the background. Helping others solve a problem that no one else is addressing will definitely help your startup skyrocket to the top.
Create a Plan
Now it’s time to come up with an effective content marketing plan. Get started by:
- Setting your goals;
- Figuring out how to track the progress being made towards those goals;
- Determining the type of content you will be creating;
- Deciding which channels to use;
- Choosing which member of your team will create the content;
- Determining how frequently new content will be created and when to publish it.
Create High-Quality Content
You can’t get away with producing lackluster content. If you are guilty of this, your audience will be less than impressed.
Take the extra time and effort needed to create high-quality content. This will stand out from your competitors and wow your readers.
You might publish less often but the results will be far better in the long-run.
In addition to providing valuable information, your content must also look great. Keep the following points in mind:
- Paragraphs should be short;
- Headers should break up the content;
- The font needs to be easy to read;
- Images must be high-quality and easy to see;
- Videos should be produced using good lighting.
Increase Your Content’s Visibility
Adding keywords to your content makes it easier for readers to find it. The easier it is for readers to find your content, the more leads you will generate.
Conduct keyword research to find keywords that are:
- Used often by your target market;
- Not too competitive.
Use Social Media to Your Advantage
Social media can be used to boost your content marketing plan. Whenever you publish new content, let your followers know by sharing it on social media.
Implement Email Marketing
Allow your site’s visitors to subscribe to your email list. This will give you another way to keep in touch with your target market and work on turning leads into paying customers. Just be careful to avoid sending too many emails.
Your emails should:
- Help build a relationship with subscribers;
- Update subscribers on the latest happenings in your business;
- Provide value to readers;
- Have intriguing subject lines that cause subscribers to open every email;
- Encourage subscribers to take action.
Regularly Test and Improve Your Content Marketing Plan
If you want to achieve the best results possible, you will probably need to update your content marketing plan from time to time.
Closely monitor how each change impacts your business. The changes that make a positive difference should be continued and focused on. Changes that have negative effects should be discarded.
Get Professional Help
At this point, you might be feeling overwhelmed by everything you just learned. Content marketing does take time and effort. As a busy startup owner, can you really fit this strategy into your already jam-packed schedule?
If not, that’s okay. You can get help. Content marketing services provide the expert support you need to get your plan going and successfully growing your startup.
If you want help with content marketing, contact us today!